Military reserve members and their families get extra support
At the starting line of Sunday’s Canada Army Run in Ottawa, BMO announced enhanced support for the Canadian military community and their families. Effective October 1, BMO employees will be eligible for a Military Leave Top-Up as a Military Reservist, and Military Family Leave where an employee has a family member who is a Military Reservist.
BMO’s expanded Military Leave Top-Up ensures that employees’ income is not affected when they need to be away for military training or service. It includes top-ups of up to eight weeks for training and up to 52 weeks for all operational domestic and international deployments, including domestic deployment protecting Canadians from natural disasters. The Military Family Leave guarantees up to 30 days of job-protected, unpaid leave for BMO employees with family members who are Reservists that need to attend training and deployment.
“BMO is proud to expand our benefit offerings to strengthen our position as the Official Bank of the Canadian Defence Community and put us in a leading position among Canadian banks. Building a diverse and inclusive workplace that is reflective of the communities we serve is fundamental to our Purpose, to Boldly Grow the Good in business and life.”
– Vanessa Lewerentz
Chief Inclusion Officer, BMO
“Managing and coordinating time away from work can be stressful for Reservists and their families because of the responsibilities they’re juggling to serve our country. This enhanced policy gives me and my fellow reservists greater financial peace of mind, especially during periods of extended military leave.”
– Juron Grant-Kinnear
Canadian Armed Forces Reserve member and Assistant Corporate Secretary and Lead, Legal Services, BMO
As the Official Bank of the Canadian Defence Community, BMO is proud to support the military community. Additional initiatives include:
- BMO has partnered with the Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services to offer banking solutions for the Canadian Defence Community. Over 100,000 community members have been served as of August 2023, meeting our target of doubling this customer segment two years early.
- Sponsor of the Canada Army Run since 2008, RCAF Run and Navy Bike Ride, with countless BMO volunteer hours in support of activation.
- Approximately 90 Canadian Defence Community Branches, serving customers in approximately 33 military bases and units across Canada.
- With the BMO Support Our Troops Mastercard, a portion of each transaction made goes to the official charitable cause of the Canadian Armed Forces, Support Our Troops. BMO Support our Troops Mastercard recently hit $1 million in donations.
- Veterans Advisory Council employee resource group supporting colleagues who are reservists, veterans, or military spouses.
- Military-friendly hiring page on jobs.bmo.com.